I Kings 16
From the Prophet Jehu's Scrolls
Baasha, King of Israel has been a terrible king. He has influenced the ten tribes of Israel to walk away from God's commands.
Recently Baasha became angry when men from the tribes of Simeon, Ephraim, and Manesseh left the area and moved to Judah, where Asa was king. The new residents served Asa, built homes there, and worshiped the Lord in the temple at Jerusalem.
Baasha became concerned others might choose to leave his kingdom and move to Judah.
He ordered a fortress to be built outside of Jerusalem and named it Ramah. He planned to attach Jerusalem and kill Asa. Unfortunately for him, king Asa paid the king of Damascus to break his treaty with king Baasha.
Troops from Damascus attacked Israelite cities and villages. When word of the distraction reached king Baasha, he left the fortress in Ramah and went back home to stop the war.
The Lord spoke to me about the whole situation. He was angered at Baasha's choice to lead the people of Israel away from worshiping in Jerusalem and for teaching the people to not follow His commands. The Lord commanded me to deliver a message to Baasha telling his what would be his punishment.
I obeyed and left the same day, journeying to Baasha's palace and requested an audience.
Baasha sat back on his throne. "Yes? Speak, prophet."
I answered him "I come with a message from the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The Lord has said, 'I lifted you up from the dust ad made you leader of my people Israel, but you walked in the ways of Jeroboam and caused my people Israel to sin and to provoke me to anger by their sins. I am about to consume you and your house, and I will make your house like that of Jeroboam son of Nebat. Dogs will eat those belonging to you, Baasha, who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country.'"
Baasha could have changed. Said he was sorry and asked forgiveness. But he didn't.
So, the punishment happened, the way God said.
If only Baasha had said he was sorry and changed his ways.
photo courtesy of visualbiblealive.com
1. Baasha was king of ______________
2. Asa was king of _________________
3. Men from these tribes left their homes to worship God in Judah: ____________, _____________, _______________
4. _______________ became jealous when the men moved away from his kingdom.
5. ________________ built a fortress to attack Judah.
6. When __________ attacked the Israelite cities, ___________ gave up and went home to protect his people.
7. A prophet named _________ to Baasha that God would punish him for teaching the people of Israel not to worship Him.
8. What didn't Baasha do?